by Catherine S. Koos, Head of Lower School
School is back in session! Here are some tips to get your Lower School student off to a great start:
- At home, have a dedicated place to do homework. You might let your child have fun painting a chair or decorating something with stickers to make it their own personal space.
- Go to Back to School Night!* Find someone to watch the kids and come meet all your child’s teachers. It’s also a great time to meet the other parents.
- Don’t be afraid to send an email to your child’s teacher if you have a concern or a question. It is better to be proactive than to wait until there is a problem.
- Try to sit down and have dinner as a family. I’m sure some of you do it every night, but others of us struggle to work family dinners in with the hectic schedule. It is a great time to talk to your kids and hear about how things are going at school.
- Packing backpacks, laying out clothes, and packing lunches is a good idea to do the night before. It makes for less hectic mornings!
- Have a bedtime routine and a set bedtime for school nights. I love reading to my kids! Research shows that through at least 8th grade, children can benefit from the increased vocabulary and comprehension that comes from reading with a parent. Plus, it is a lovely time to bond with your kids before bed.
- Lastly, maintain a positive attitude about any changes this year or any bumps in the road. Your kids will take their cue from you. You will help them to manage the challenges ahead by being patient and kind all the time!
*Lower School Back to School Night is Tuesday, Aug. 16, 6-8 p.m.