After viewing several time-lapse videos on Facebook and wondering why this was suddenly such a popular style, I decided to investigate. It seems everyone was trying out the latest app from the Instagram team, Hyperlapse. I went straight to the app store on my iPad and downloaded the free app. It is very simple and straightforward to use, with only a few settings for users to configure (this is a good thing). The latest update to iOS 8 for Apple Devices has “time-lapse” as an option when recording video, so that is also an option if you are interested in trying it out. Based on my experience with the Hyperlapse app, here are a few tips for creating great time lapse videos:
- Proper lighting. If you are outside on a sunny day, you will be fine. If you are indoors, you will need to turn on some lights and/or open windows.
- Stability. If you can set your device on a table or stand of some type, your video will be more stable, less jerky, and easier on the viewer’s eyes. I use this around campus.
- Add music. Most basic time-lapse apps do not have sound, so add some appropriate music to your finished product for that professional look and feel.
- Choose your subject(s) carefully. Something like a complete task from start to finish or one sports play (a complete pass, a skateboard trick) work well and can be edited together for great videos.
- Most important… Have fun with it! Trial and error is the best way to find out what really works. You might just be surprised at how creative you can be!
A Day at the Lower School – My Hyperlapse Debut
21st Century Learning Specialist
Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy